Sugar Daddy Site Scams in 2023
Romantic scamming is a global problem that brings huge financial losses worldwide. Romantic scamming should not be underestimated because even the most intelligent and experienced people can make a mistake when it comes to feelings.
That being said, it’s not very difficult to avoid romantic scamming. It is essential to know the basic schemes of fraud, the behavior of scammers, and the main precautions, and then you can feel calm.
On this page, we comprehensively cover the topic of romantic scamming and give practical tips on how to avoid it.
What are sugar scams?
Sugar site scams always involve the scammer getting money through deceit or blackmail. Fraudsters usually wait for some time to ingratiate themselves with a person and only then put their scheme into practice. To deceive, he uses all sorts of pretexts that look believable and affect the emotional side, so most people are vulnerable to romantic scamming.
We will now talk about the central schemes of fraud and what to avoid, and then even the most compassionate words and tricks will not be able to confuse you.
Potential dangers of sugar baby sites
We compiled this list of the most popular romantic scams. Fraudsters sometimes adjust their strategies, but in general, they look like this:
❗ “I am a successful person“
Your interlocutor gives the impression of a very successful, wealthy person. He can be a doctor, a prince, or a businessman. Everything is okay in his life, and only personal happiness is missing. And at some point, he needs your help.
Only you can save him for some reason. It only needs a little of your money because he is suddenly in danger. Naturally, creating a successful image is just bait so that you turn off your mind and fall in love as quickly as possible.
❗ “I need help“
Similar to the previous scheme, but in this case, the scammer builds a realistic image of himself and acts in the future. At the same time, a story that requires money looks more natural. For example, an illness of a relative or a car accident.
It’s hard not to believe because such situations can happen to anyone. The only question is why they ask for help from you, not from a genuinely close person.
❗ “I sent you a gift“
After a short communication, the scammer expresses a desire to send a gift. He tells us in all colors what a wonderful gift this is. The only problem is that he cannot pay for shipping for some reason. You can only do this by transferring the amount to the card.
You get an empty box as a gift, and the scammer receives $50-200 “for shipping.”
6 Tips – How to avoid sugar site scams?
- Do not post too personal information about yourself on the Internet. The scammer can use it for personal gain.
- Do not share intimate photos or sensitive data from your life and your family’s life. Unfortunately, such information often becomes a subject for blackmail.
- Do not send money under any pretext to a person you have not met.
- Beware of partners who ask you to leave the dating site quickly.
- If a person seems too perfect for you, this is an occasion to ask him as many questions as possible.
- Take your time, gradually getting to know your partner, but don’t put off a face-to-face meeting for more than 2-4 months.
How to pick reliable sugar platforms?
- Study reviews of a dating site. Pay attention to how realistic and detailed they are written.
- Look at the age of dating sites. Some sites have been around for 5-10 years, such as Secret Benefits, Ashley Madison, Sugar Daddy, Rich Meet Beautiful, and What’s Your Price. Such sites have not only gathered a large audience, but have only improved the mechanisms for protecting users and the moderation process over the years.
- Explore existing payment methods. Is it possible to pay by card? What payment systems are used? Are there payment protection systems?
- There are also free features on the site: creating a profile, editing a shape, a test period, etc. If not, then such a site does not inspire confidence.